Monday, January 24, 2011

Same Sad Story, Another Day -- Lucky Me!

Same Sad Story, Another Day, is just a little saying we have at my house.  A little saying for those people in your life who seem to do the same mistakes over and over again, and then to be surprised the outcome is not any different.  For example, we had a friend once who was eating dinner with us, which was a stuffed bread item.  She did not realize the inside of the dish was super hot and burned herself on the filling of the bread.  Once she was able to cool off her tongue, she took another bite, without blowing on her bite, only to be surprised the second bite burned her tongue just like the first.  Two weeks later, when I made the same dish again, and the same friend was over, she burned her tongue again.  Now of course, we all burn ourselves, and I've done this more than anyone I know, and this is a way over simplification of the title, but you get the point.  Mainly we use the title for people who fail miserably at life, or at least the important aspects that seem pretty obvious examples of choice and consequence.  We know lots of people who don't save a penny of their earnings, and are continually surprised they have no emergency stash for, well, emergencies.  Or people, who don't pay their taxes and are surprised when the IRS audits them over and over again.  Or even for people who are not willing to be employed, and seem shocked they cannot find anyone to rent them an apartment, sell them a cell phone, or obtain a credit card.  Why oh why, don't people just "get" it?

Arlin and I have been called "lucky" by several people because we apparently understand the universal truth that what we choose will change how life impacts us.  We realize we should set some money aside to have for "emergencies" or that we should pay our bills on time if we don't want to lose our cars or need good credit to buy a house.  We are so "lucky" we know that if we don't pay our parking tickets or drive on a suspended license we will be arrested.  Crazy ol' lucky us!  I certainly think of myself as lucky, but not for those reasons.

I do admit it is hard to be surrounded by these people.  It really is.  People who do not have a sense of reality, or that do have a sense of reality, but think they are exempt from the same realities all the rest of us face.  I mean, we all pay taxes, we all need money, we all put on weight if we eat too much.  Those silly consequences all the world faces, are injustices faced by some of my friends.  I heard things like the system is out to get them, you're so lucky you don't have it this hard, and people should give them a chance!  (Um, if you don't pay your vehicle taxes for 2 years, and then get arrested for it, didn't you just get 600 days of chances to pay the overdue bill before you were arrested?)

Do any of you subscribe to the mantra that there are negative poisons in this world that need to be cut out of our lives?  I used to be such a person, and then I thought I was too mean, but I'm starting to pick that banner back up.  I don't think I need to saddle myself with these people too much longer.  These, crabs in the pot, that want to pull me back in the pot and bail them out from their realities they don't want to deal with cause they tried to avoid them by pretending they weren't there.  Silly rabbits! Tricks are for kids!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! This is why my life seemed so dull compared to my other pals. We'd spend 30 minutes on the phone discussing their latest dramas and then they'd remember to ask in the last 2 minutes "how are you?". My answer was always "just fine, nothing in particular to report". I must be lucky too! :-)

    ReplyDelete