Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Suck It Naysayers

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."


- Mark Twain

Do you have people in your life who tell you to stop trying?  Or that you can't do something?  Or to give up because the fight is too hard?  I have had some people in my life say this to people who I love (not to me).  I would love to tell them to go away and ruin their own lives (oh wait, they already did) and to get out of the lives of my loved ones.  It seems like you have those who can, those who can't, and those who can but won't (or say they can't cause they want to avoid the work).  I heard a talk by John Bytheway once where he was talking about loads you carry in your backpack. He was instructing us to not carry around the extra weight we don't need to hold.  The doubts, the exhaustion, the naysayers.  He was telling us not to be one of the Negative Nellys out there. He called it, "Be a Builder, Not a Wrecker."  I really like that.  It has stuck with me all these years past my teens. I even still say to Arlin, "Be a Builder, Not a Wrecker" cause it can get discouraging and easy to see the tough parts.  BUT we do try to tell one another, if we want something to go for it.  We can do it. He can do it, I can do it, our kids can do it.  There is enough negativity out there and we have to build up our own sense of self worth.  Cause we can do it.  I tell that to my daughters every day.  And Heaven help me if those same people come around and make fun of them or tell my girls they can't do something.  I might end up punching them in the face (figuratively speaking of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment