Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Job Changes, Roomies, and Other Life Altering Changes

So right now Arlin is between jobs.  He was working for a Honda dealership (that shall remain nameless), and was approached by another non-Honda dealership with a job offer.  While he considered taking the new job, he wasn't 100% convinced because he's been working his hiney off on some deals and had been building his personal brand.  After a series of dramatic events, let's just say he was slightly forced to take the job offer.  He worked there less than 2 full days because there were a few too many things he didn't know about before he got there.  We were very disappointed to say the least.  Now he is starting the great Houston job search again.  Le sigh.

Good news is, a couple of friends have helped him get connections at other dealerships and he had an interview last week, and took a drug test yesterday.  Here's to crossing your fingers and hoping!  He also is going to apply for several other jobs in case there is something that doesn't work out.  While I'm happy he has prospects, I'm also frustrated for him and totally stressed out (what with the holidays approaching and all).  Things were just getting smooth and I was making some great plans to get things back on track after our moves and stuff.  I was feeling confident, well, mostly confident, about where things are headed.  Here comes a bump of course.  It feels like we never have more than 6 months of things working out without some kind of HUGE dramatic event, or bump in the road, or just problems, problems, problems.  I kid you not.  I'm grateful for the interview though, and I'm cautiously optimistic we'll back at it shortly.

Other news, Lindsay eye is starting to water more lately.  Since she just had surgery on this eye a few months ago, I'm slightly concerned the surgery was not successful in opening her tear duct.  Of course the surgery is supposed to be 80% successful (that means, I have a 20% chance of redo).  We tend to be in that off chance percentage and I so don't want to be.  Again, fingers AND toes crossed.

Things with the roomies are going pretty well I suppose.  It's always hard to share a space.  Now, what with 11 people living in a 2000 square foot home, there are obviously some bumps and bruising going on with kids, ego, rules and respect.  I won't say it's easy, but no one has screamed that I'm aware, and there are no holes in the wall or blood stains yet (stay tuned).  The hardest things is the balance of the kids.  A family of 3 boys and a tom boy who are very rough and tumble, especially in the way they walk and talk with each other and other kids.  Not having any brothers, Laney has had her feelings hurt more than once.  She just totally doesn't get boy talk.  It's hard for me to see her not understand and watch her feelings be crushed, she has always been very tender hearted.  In some ways I'm sure it's good for her. Since none of these boys are her boyfriends, she will receive some early training on how boys #1 just don't make sense and #2 can be very rude and mean sometimes, and don't even realize they are rude and mean sometimes.

We are trying to baptize Laney in early December.  I really have to get on the ball with that and pick a day and set up the talks and all that good stuff.  I'm not HUGELY sure what I'm supposed to do (even though I had this calling in Primary), but I'm sure it will be fine.  I want it to be about the baptism, and less about the hoopla that surrounds it.  I want her to realize the dress, the food, the friends are not as important as the PROMISE she makes.  Here's to hoping on that one.  I'm afraid I've been very slack lately.  There has been a great lag in scripture study, and for the first time in, well, ever, I've not even been good about praying.  I feel like the will and the strength to fight the good fight is dying inside me.  And I don't have the means or energy to get it back.  I'm trying, but I feel like it's more like hiking Mt. Everest than just kneeling down and closing my eyes.

All in all, we are so much further along than we were this time last year.  I have no idea how we made it through this past year, and made it so well through this past year.  There were many many times when I had serious doubt about even making it through the day, so getting here and seeing that things are markedly improved from a year ago AMAZES me.  I keep telling myself, there are blessings I don't see and know about, but it goes back to right now, this last year, I feel like my job is to endure it.  And like the scriptures say, endure it well.  I guess then, my job is the endure it well part, since somehow I am enduring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment