Whew! We dodged another one, and got through an entire school year. I just can't believe it's over! I feel like I've gone through battle and I don't even know who/what I was fighting. It's crazy to believe we made it because it's been such a tough year. I'm starting to wonder if Laney is less ADD than I thought and more lazy? As a parent, I just don't know. Our final report card was straight C's. And if you asked me three years ago, this would be totally unacceptable. Punishment, lose of privileges, you name it. My feelings on it now? WHEW! There is a loving God and He helps us.
We started this year much like last year with not so good grades (read D's, C's and F's). She did have one B and that was in reading. Over the year we've done counseling, constant seat changing, tutoring before, during and after school, extra practice at home, testing on mental issues, etc., etc., etc. And while our testing results are not in, all teacher feedback on her ability to focus is: she CAN'T. I'm really starting to wonder just exactly where it is that Laney wants to be in life. I think school is going to always be hard for her. Math especially, word problems definitely. And since we teach to pass a test here in TX, she is really not doing so hot there. She gets notes sent home for talking and being silly, she either sends home an A or an F, she understands it today and totally forgets about it tomorrow. Geez. If she stumps me, two teachers, and a host of extra helpers, perhaps kids not excelling at school is not so cut and dried as I once thought?!
BUT here we are again, at the close of a year, and I'm super grateful for those C's. I'm grateful Laney maintained one C from the beginning of the year, and brought 3 D's up to C's, and lowered one B to a C. And while I've spoken with her teacher and made a plan to practice math problems and multiplication tables all summer long, I'm excited for her future. A little worried that one year she might be held back, but excited because I believe she is finally starting to see that her effort is what makes a grade. And she is starting (starting I say, not perfect) to understand that if she studies and truly tries she does better than without the effort. And I'm trying to teach her that if you really want to do well, you find a way to make it happen. You study all the material until you know it inside and out. And you do everything in your power to be successful. I'm helping her compare this to repentance. If you are truly sorry, you'll ask forgiveness and not do the sin/mistake/hurtful thing again. If you say you're sorry, but repeat the event then you are not really sorry. So she is learning just because she says she wants to do well, it doesn't mean anything until her actions equal her efforts. And only then will she see the results she is looking for. Like I said, I think she is starting to understand. And I'll give her that. I know adults and seniors who don't get that principle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment