Not much to mention that is really blog worthy. I feel like life is just like that sometimes--full of business and busy nothingness. I remember when we were first married, and Arlin would comment all the time about how boring life was. It was funny because when you are single and have no worries your perspective changes a lot. Spend that $5 on candy or the box of Girl Scout cookies? Sure, why not? Stay up late every night playing softball or hanging with friends? Of course. Clean your room? Nah, more important living to get done, than that. Now that we are "adults", (I guess you could call us that since we do technically fit the description), we are more focused on important stuff ... homework for the kids, bathing the baby, shopping for groceries, saving for a rainy day, retirement or college, getting exercise to keep ourselves mentally in shape, commuting and other fun work related stuff. All things we would not technically choose to spend our time doing, but must get done sometime, somewhere, somehow. I think if we had endless time and money, here are some of the things we would be doing instead of the 6:30 am - 10 pm grind called work and home life:
1. Travel. We would go to Schlitterbahn, Seaworld San Antonio, or Sandals
2. Sleep (a lot, with kids not waking up before the sun rises)
3. Television, or movies rather - we would watch them, a lot of them, just to see a good story and eat some junk food
4. Volunteer - Habitat for Humanity, the Houston Food Bank, or Big Brothers/Big Sisters are a good start
5. The Gym - we will go more, I swear! It's one of my new goals. First I have to join a gym and resign myself to going either at 5 am before work, or 9 pm after work and dinner with the family. But I'm going to do it!
6. We'd even spend time at the zoo, the aquarium, playing in the yard, riding our bikes and going for some family walks. We do a lot of this now, but we'd love to do these things more frequently.
7. Visit family and good friends. Yes! We'd love to come see you! All of you! Let's plan something soon!!
8. Watch and Listen. I'd like the quiet time I have just to have a good talk with my kids. To take them out on a one on one date, and to just talk. No getting in trouble or doing an activity. Just to listen, or to watch them while they live. To enjoy their stages and get to know them as individuals. I miss out on a lot of that while I'm at work all day. I love it when I get those moments though. They are not to be passed up!
That's a small start to the things we'd like to fill our days doing. And we do have those highlights where we do get to do them, I'd like to make it more frequent. We'll be working on that over this next year. I'll have to notify my work to tell the clients to stay away so I can skip the 50-60 hour work weeks and the weekend schedule. Just kidding on that one, but we'll definitely be sure to grab the time while we can and perhaps make some of our own three day weekends or holidays. I know Spring Break is coming, I'm excited to plan something fun, even if it's a day at Chuck E Cheese and a Redbox DVD, it's all good. Here's to the good times! And to remembering some things we figured out when we were single, but forgot when we got busy with the nothingness of busy life ... we have more important things to do sometimes than laundry or dishes. Carpe Diem people!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment