| Pre-baptism |
Laney asked her Primary piano player, Sister Elisa Smith, to be there. She sang a beautiful song for both of the kids and lead the music. Brother Alba, was our resident bishopric member, which is interesting because he lived in Northern VA when I was a kid and I knew a couple of his sons from years ago. He has a daughter married to a boy I grew up with, and a son married to a girl I went to girls' camp with as a teen. Small world. Really. Sister Smith is actually married to a direct descendant of Hyrum Smith, brother to Joseph Smith, founder of our church. I thought my dad my appreciate that bit of genealogy. It was like my life was coming full circle. From the beginning of the church to Laney, and from the beginning of my life as a member of the church to Laney. Very inspiring.
Sister Cook, who works with me in the Young Women's organization came with her daughter, Madison, to support Laney too. Madison and Laney are fairly good friends and enjoy spending time together at church. I wish they lived a little closer to us so the girls could spend more time together, but perhaps we can do that as they grow. The Cooks are a good family, and it was great to have them there, showing Laney ward love. The Stephens were also there, as were Arlin's parents and his brother Daniel.
Laney chose the song, "We Lived in Heaven" as her choice of music, and I'm so glad she did. It is a great primary song that talks about how we all knew the plan and came to earth to love, learn and return to our Father in Heaven again. I was proud of her for recognizing the importance of the song in relation to baptism. We were going to have good friends, the Halls, speak on the Holy Ghost. But of course, we always have snafus in our plans, and Dusty and Stephanie didn't realize it was so late in the day (daylight savings time was going on) until it was too late and they missed it. Brother Alba gave a great filler talk though, so all was well. Brother Christensen, is our home teacher, and he and Chris Stephens were the witnesses of the baptism itself. Which again was funny because Arlin tried to baptize her properly, and they made him switch sides, therefore he baptize her with the wrong hand in the air, and she had to come back in the water and get dunked again. Like I said, we like to do it the long way in our house.
I made the famous Ballantyne champagne punch (yes, we could feel their love too!) and some super special mini rainbow colored cupcakes. I was super proud of myself because mustering up the energy to do more than buy a box of cookies was crazy hard. I was trying really hard to be in the moment, and not overwhelmed with the details and I think I pulled it off. Angela Stephens helped me with some of the baking. Originally I thought Laney was going to be baptized on March 31st, but on the 12 I found out it was going to be on the 17th (whoops!) so there was some scrambling going on around here. It all worked out and I don't think Laney even realized we were scrambling.
Laney's baptism was sweet and I could feel the spirit there to support her. She was so happy and excited to have her chance to make a choice about joining the church. She felt very grown up, and it made me realize how quickly the time is going by, and running away with her youth. I managed to make it through the entire time without crying by keeping myself busy, but rest assured it was a tender moment in my daughter's life that I will not forget. I'm grateful to Arlin to be worthy to baptize her, and to take seriously how clean he needed to be to be the vessel for the priesthood powers to work. I know that Laney could feel that and knew how important it was to us, that it was so important to her. It was a day of her very own to think about Heavenly Father and promises we make when we join the church and take Christ's name upon us.
I'm so proud to have such a kind, sweet, gracious daughter. Laney is a loving sister, and big hearted soul who does not like to see others hurt. She wants to please you and to do things right so you will be happy with her and proud of her. She does not like to feel dissension or anger towards her or others, and likes to include everyone. She tried to choose the right and to do the things Jesus would have her do so she can return to heaven and see her sister Taylor. She constantly speaks about Taylor and how she wishes she were here with us, and it awesome to know how much she loves her sister who is so far away, but never forgotten even after these four years. I grateful to be Laney's mom and to learn all she can teach me about being a mother and a child of God. She's absolutely the best daughter you could ask for.
| Laney and Arlin pre-baptism |
| The entire family.Arlin, me. Laney, Lindsay |
No comments:
Post a Comment