Friday, January 13, 2012

Got My Mind on My Money and My Money on My Mind

One employed spouse tends to make you take a hard look at money.  We are technically able to pay our bills, but it's a squeaky kind of thing.  I'm super grateful to be able to pay them too.  This time a year ago, not so much on making bills.  We've come a long way, baby.  BUT the entire point of this post is really to bring up a idea Arlin and I saw on television the other day...a monthly financial fast.  I was very impressed with the length the family would go to in order to keep their financial fast.  And I must admit, we were both inspired and are thinking of putting a financial fast in place in our family.  Here's how it works (according to my understanding of the show): for a predetermined time period you do not spend money.  For this family, it was once a month, they have a week where they "fast" and do not spend money for an entire week during the month.  It was crazy watching their extremes...they would run out of shampoo and use the little mini freebie shampoos you get from a hotel, and they would scrounge for loose change in their couch, around air machines at gas stations, etc. to pick up dinner if they ran out of food around the house.  It was crazy.

I'm not sure we'll dig for change around air machines, but there are weeks where we can not get those extra groceries that we want just cause we have a craving, not go out to eat, not do any movies at the redbox, or just not spend the money.  It's amazing how much money leaves your wallet in small drips as opposed to large gushes.  I'm hoping we do institute a week or at least several days of financial fasting at our house.  I'd like to see how it changes things and maybe it will help us curb bad habits in our other weeks.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great idea. Something I should try, too. It would be interesting to see where things get tough.

    ReplyDelete