Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Bad Run of Luck?

Seriously, I'm one of those people that hears (constantly), "I've never seen the likes of this in the 30 years I've been in this business" or "I've never seen anything like this happen before and I've been doing this 20+ years" or "Your chance _________ will happen is very rare.  Less than 1%", and then _________ happens.  EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.  You would think we would join the lottery.  I mean really.  With like like this, who needs, well, LUCK?

So what did we do? The smartest thing, any two people with weird luck could do, we opened a business in an industry we have exactly zero experience, with two people who have luck just like ours, and stepped back to watch the fireworks.  It's been almost 2 years since our hair salon opened, and it's still open so that is good, right?  It's definitely had ups and downs and a lot of ------------.  These past 45 days though, have just been *&(^(%(% obnoxious though.  And I'm not sure I can take any more!!!!!  First of all, our A/C went out in the beginning of July, it would take too long to fix so after several hotter than hot days of a record breaking hot summer, our building owner move an A/C unit from a store near us to our shop.  Give it exactly a week and the second unit went out.  Wait 2 business weeks and we get a new unit, during the recording breaking HOT month of August, during the busiest time of the year (back to school), and we had to close early every day and turn away customers because of said hotness inside the building, only to have a random thunderstorm on the exact date (and time) of the installation.  So we had to delay for that.  New unit gets installed, and the next day my manager is out with multiple kidney stones (poor girl!).

Manager just about comes back from sick leave and the shop dryer breaks and the shop stand alone chair dryers break (yes, all three of them!), and the gas goes out at the shop.  During this same time frame, the A/C went out in my office at work (yep, I'm in charge of fixing that), Lindsay got some weird coxil virus on her skin that looked like herpes all over her body (trust me, don't look up the pictures), and Arlin got some weird boil thing on his stomach (fingers crossed it is not coxil or MRSA).  Sigh.

Other than those things, we are good.  I think.  Now we are fighting with our landlord over losing our entire busy season (beginning of July though the end of August), trying to replace employees that quit since they did not make money for 2 months, and trying to keep sanity in a 9 person packed 2200 square foot home.  You know the saying goes, "If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all."  :)  Here's to luck changing!  :)  We're moving on!

No comments:

Post a Comment