Monday, August 22, 2011

Well, hello third grade ...

Today is Laney's first official day of third grade.  I think she is very excited to be back in school, among friends, and beginning some more fun times.  I do not, even for a second, delude myself into thinking she is excited for homework or learning math.  We have talked a lot about the importance of being a woman and having an education.  About being able to take care of yourself and your family.  I want her to have a degree in whatever field she wants, not because I think people with degrees are smarter than those without, but because a degree is what employers look for when hiring.  We've talked about how her life goals may be to have a career, or to just be a mom (not just, but you know what I mean).  Either way, I want her to be educated to be able to help herself and her family.  She might not be married until she's 30, she might get married young, but her husband could get sick, physically injured, laid off, or sadly, die.  I want her to have the tools she needs to always be okay, and I think she is finally starting to realize that now is the time to take care of these things. 

She's only in third grade, but she knows her job now is to be a student during the school year, and to be a family member.  I'm proud of her, because she is really a great girl.  She's helpful, kind, tender hearted, and giving even when others don't deserve it.  And she is forgiving.  She is awesome.  So this might just be the start of third grade, but it's an adventure and we're all excited to be sharing it together!  Welcome third grade!!

No comments:

Post a Comment