Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Dreaded

There is one conversation (or two or three versions of the one conversation) I dread having with each of my girls:

The Sex Talk

Just YUCK!  Laney turns 8 in about 3 weeks and I'm afraid we are getting close to have "the talk".  I'm really not that prepared for this!  I thought I had more time!!!  I'm not sure who says things to her and I don't think she really even knows what they are saying, but I've had to correct her on a couple of things.  For instance, the other day we were house cleaning and folding laundry on a Saturday in front of the TV with some Disney movie that had some type of kissing scene.  Laney says to me, "Oh no, I can't look they are about to have SEX."  Yep, said that she did.  My heart dropped.

"What do you know about sex?" asks me.

"It is when they kiss," she says.

"Well, there is kissing in sex, but that is not really what sex is.  What else do you know?"

"You are naked."  Be still my beating heart.  No, really, be still.  Ugh.  Now I know there have to be kids at school talking about this.  Second graders.  No way.  I mean, she still gets her homework instructions confused sometimes, so how do they get the details of anything right?  I knew we were no ready to have the entire conversation, and I don't think she would have even understood it if I did, but I also knew we had to do some cleaning up of her understanding of what sex was.  So very generally I told her what it was for and how only mommies and daddies and husbands and wives have sex, and how it is special and those types of things.  AND now I guess I cross my fingers and begin hoping that whomever in second grade that thinks they know all about sex, will move away this summer.  Or become a mute.  Either work for me.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter had that friend in 3rd grade. I had to fix some rather shocking misconceptions! And I really really really hate to tell you this, but some of them actually *cough* 'become women' at the tender age of 9 these days.

    It's never too soon to purchase a really good age appropriate book that explains a whole bunch of things. :-) Or send her to Australia. I'll fill her in in the facts of life for ya. Cheers, Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyn:

    Sigh. Just sigh.

    :/

    -Brandy

    ReplyDelete